DE is most effective when dry because the diatoms will vigorously absorb unwanted spills and smells, or dehydrate insects. However, there are also circumstances, where a wet application is needed. Either way, DE will be effective once it dries.
When applying diatomaceous earth (or any fine dust) in large amounts, you should wear gloves, a face mask, and protective goggles. This is to prevent irritation to the skin, eyes, and lungs
This site, https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/ is full of information about DE.
A Natural Deodorizer
- Garbage can--sprinkle DE in bottom of garbage can to deodorize.
- Kitty litter box--Mix a handful of DE in with kitty litter. Not only deodorizes but also absorbs moisture. DE is odorless so will not deter cats from using box.
- Vacuum cleaner bags--To deodorize, place two tablespoons of DE in the vacuum bag or canister and again when half full.
- Refrigerator--Use as you would baking soda
- Footwear—place some DE in pantyhose tie off leave in shoes until using again. Alternatively sprinkle in shoes leave overnight shake out well and wipe up residue.
Non –Toxic Cleanser and Absorbent
- Soft scrub cleanser--Mix DE with dish soap to make paste add few drops of vinegar if desired.
- Muddy footprints from carpet—sprinkle DE powder on wet or dry mud spots. Brush with stiff broom or brush with a rubbing motion. Vacuum in 1-2 hours or when powder and mud appear dry.
- Polish silver—Mix DE with water to form paste. Apply to silver, rubbing with cloth and wash well. Silver tarnish can be removed by rubbing on dry DE with cloth.
Pets and Livestock
- Dust livestock to help prevent problems with lice
- Rub into coats of cats and dogs to ward off fleas and ticks
- Use as dewormer, just mix it in their food.
A Glorious Garden
- Preserve and store flower bulbs--Sprinkle bulbs lightly with DE, store in an air permeable bag, hang in a dry place for airflow.
- Amendment for soil--For houseplants use ¼ DE to soil mix.
- As a soil conditioner it helps to break up clay and retain moisture in light or sandy soils.
- It contains 14 trace minerals that help to amend depleted soils.
Easy Beauty Secrets
- Facial Mask--Mix DE and water or oil together to make a paste. Apply to face with a circular motion until face is fully covered. Leave on 2 to 5 minutes then wash off with warm water.
- Microderm Abrasion Glow--Mix DE with your favorite cleanser and it will remove old dead skin
- Teeth cleaner--Sprinkle a small amount of DE on your favorite toothpaste and brush as you normally would.
- Nail Soak—Mix with your favorite nail oil to strengthen nails